Rizzo Music is back with a new article from the "Popular Music of the 90s" series. Last week I made a list of some of the best pop music of the decade and today I am going to share with you my list for the most popular rock music of the 90s. Out of all the lists and playlists I have created in the past, this was by far the hardest to come up with. There are so many great artists and songs that originated in the 90s and deciding on just 5 songs for every year was tough. I tried to get representation out of all the key rock artists and hopefully I didn't forget anyone.
After much debate I was able to compile this list of 90s rock music. There are so many songs that I really enjoy that could not be included due restrictions on space but there are 50 great singles here for your enjoyment.
How it works:
For each genre of music I will rank the top 5 singles from each year in the 90s. I will provide a link for each song (either imeem or youtube, depending on availability) for your listening pleasure.
Disclaimer: These rankings are based on my personal preferences, not on actual popularity. I think of these lists as recommendations. Hopefully these songs will bring back some good memories, and if you have never heard them before, maybe create some new ones.
Interested in 90s Pop and Rap as well? Be sure to check out these lists as well.
90s Pop Music
90s Rock Music
Starting with the year 1999:
1. "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit
2. "Jumper" by Third Eye Blind
3. "Scar Tissue" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
4. "The Chemicals Between Us" by Bush
5. "Heavy" by Collective Soul
1. "Inside Out" by Eve 6
2. "The Way" by Fastball
3. "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground
4. "Shimmer" by Fuel
5. "Closing Time" by Semisonic
1. "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve
2. "Push" by Matchbox Twenty
3. "Everlong" by Foo Fighters
4. "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe
5. "Everything to Everyone" by Everclear
1. "1979" by Smashing Pumpkins
2. "One Headlight" by The Wallflowers
3. "Counting Blue Cars" by Dishwalla
4. "What I Got" by Sublime
5. "In the Meantime" by Spacehog
1. "Lightning Crashes" by Live
2. "Wonderwall" by Oasis
3. "Glycerine" by Bush
4. "Name" by Goo Goo Dolls
5. "Good" by Better Than Ezra
1. "When I Come Around" by Green Day
2. "Shine" by Collective Soul
3. "I Alone" by Live
4. "Self Esteem" by The Offspring
5. "About a Girl" by Nirvana
1. "Rooster" by Alice in Chains
2. "Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows
3. "Hey Jealousy" by Gin Blossoms
4. "No Rain" by Blind Melon
5. "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine
1. "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam
2. "In Bloom" by Nirvana
3. "Drive" by R.E.M.
4. "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica
5. "Creep" by Radiohead
1. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana
2. "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains
3. "Enter Sandman" by Metallica
4. "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M.
5. "Right Here, Right Now" by Jesus Jones
1. "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog
2. "Kool Thing" by Sonic Youth
3. "Head Like A Hole" by Nine Inch Nails
4. "Stop!" by Jane's Addicton
5. "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC
Well there you have it. The top 5 songs from each year of the 90s. Thanks for listening and enjoy.
Agree? Disagree? Feel free to share your opinion by making a comment below.
Lately I have been listening to a lot of music, most of which I never heard before. A lot of it has been from some of my favorite artists, but some have just been random songs that I have come across. I have been going through some old albums as well as some new ones and I decided to make a new playlist with some of my new favorites.
I would just like to make a note of Dishwalla, a band that I recently rediscovered and started to listen to them extensively. Know most for their classic radio hit, "Counting Blue Cars", they are a band that is much deeper then their one hit wonder status. If you happen to like "Coral Sky", which is in this playlist, I suggest you check out more of their latest album, which is self-titled. Some of my favorites from that album are "Above The Wreckage", "Collide" and "40 Stories". If your more of a fan of their older music you should definitely check out their Live... Greetings From The Flow State album. Well, that's it for this week. Hope you enjoyed it.
Top 10 Songs You Should Know - Week 20 - August 20-26 2007
1. Goo Goo Dolls - Big Machine
2. Dishwalla - Coral Sky
3. The Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost
4. Big Head Todd and The Monsters - Bittersweet
5. Hootie & The Blowfish - Old Man & Me
6. Death Cab For Cutie - Photobooth
7. Better Than Ezra - Heaven
8. Depeche Mode - Policy Of Truth
9. Bush - Letting The Cables Sleep
10. The Wallflowers - Here In Pleasantville
Here's the link for the whole playlist: Recently Discovered Songs
Looking for more playlists? We've got plenty.
It's is another Monday in January and its time for another group of songs formed together in an ordered list. This week we have a theme to the playlist which is 90's Music. All of these songs were released prior to the year 2000 and after 1989 to the best of my knowledge. I figured that if I began to theme these playlists, perhaps more would listen to them collectively and not just pick and choose. These are not necessarily my top ten songs from the 1990s but are from some great 90s bands and I have chosen one song from each year. They are ordered in a way that the first song starts out at 1990 and the last is 1999. These songs were more popular then most of the songs I put up here but I tried to pick a song that defined the year for me. 1998 was definitely the hardest year from me to pick as there were some many good songs released that year. Hope you enjoyed another rendition of "Top 10 Songs You Should Know" and thanks for listening.
Top 10 Songs You Should Know - Week 10 - Jan. 22-28 20061. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode2. Hunger Strike - Temple of the Dog3. Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms4. Laid - James5. Glycerine - Bush6. Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla7. Barely Breathing - Duncan Sheik8. How's it Going to Be - Third Eye Blind9. Iris - Goo Goo Dolls10. Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Now that I have that I have the mission statement out of the way, I figured I would start up the first reoccurring article. This is the first edition to the "Top 10 Songs You Should Know" from some fairly familiar artists but not so familiar songs. Hopefully pretty soon I'll be able to figure out how to link to Itunes or something so you can at least hear a sample of each of these songs because they are pretty good. I hope to release a playlist every Monday but we will see what happens. Most of the stuff that I post will be pretty random and will not have any sort of regularity so just check back often or subscribe to the blog at the top of the page.
Just for a little background, these artists featured on this playlist are all extraordinary and I regularly listen to at least 5 of their songs on a regular basis with the exception of Griffin House, which I recently saw in concert so I can vouch for his talent. Anyways, all of them might not be your style but hopefully at least one will.
Top 10 Songs You Should Know - Week 1 - Nov. 13-19 20061. Rosealia - Better Than Ezra2. The End Of The World - Gin Blossoms3. The Guy that Says Goodbye to You is Out of His Mind - Griffin House4. Wait - Mat Kearney5. Every Little Thing - Dishwalla6. A Bad Dream - Keane7. Look After You - The Fray8. I Believe In You - Big City Rock9. Overcome - Live10. Penny Is Poison - The Verve Pipe